15 Things That Every Girl Needs To Realize About Her Body
Lessons brought to you from the same mind that once fueled an eating disorder.
1. It’s never going to be an exact science. There is a science to a healthy weight, yes. But perception of one’s self varies and is unique to every individual.
2. Comparing yourself to other women is poisonous and we all need to stop doing it.
3. Another thing that needs to stop is that little internal celebration girls have when another girl gains weight. Don’t even lie to yourself and say you haven’t done it. It’s so messed up that seeing our ex’s girlfriend has put on some winter weight makes us feel better about ourselves. It really shouldn’t and it’s a toxic thought process.
4. Positive body image is about having a healthy body and a healthy mind.
5. Becoming obsessed with losing weight is not a portrayal of strong willpower, but rather a weaker state of mind. It isn’t control at all.
6. If you allow your mind to be ruled by obsession and fear of inadequacy, you are losing the ability to really control your own happiness.
7. You have to attach your mental motivation to healthiness and not insecurities.
8. Telling a girl she is too skinny and needs to eat a sandwich is no better than being told you’re too chunky and need to eat fewer sandwiches. Don’t hate on other girls’ bodies. Some girls are naturally very thin, and they shouldn’t have to be made to feel isolated or guilty about that.
9. Those women who do have problems with eating disorders are suffering from an illness. It isn’t something they can just drop. It doesn’t make them vain or weak. It’s a struggle, and one that requires support from loved ones.
10. Your body is inevitably going to change during different stages of your life.
11. Attempting to condition your body to be the way you believe men want it to be is a useless pursuit. Like any factor in attraction, different guys are drawn to different body types.
12. Some guys gravitate towards more curvy girls and others towards females with smaller frames. For most, it really doesn’t matter. It’s just an initial influence anyway, and becomes very irrelevant in respect to who you are.
13. Something that does not differ among almost all men is being attracted to confidence.
14. Therefore, the more attractive you feel, the more attractive you are.
15. This all being said, one of the most important aspects of body image is just understanding that it’s only a body. The same body will wither and wrinkle and change a million times in your lifetime. It’s merely a shell to the astounding beauty that lies within. As women, we often feel that shell is more important than it really is.
Use it as a tool to be healthy and confident. Use it for big smiles, crazy adventures, warm hugs and countless memories of the moments you spent being completely happy with who you are.