INDIA- NOT SAFE for WOMEN???
“INCREDIBLE INDIA” before we shout this to the world, we should ponder over some of the below questions.
- Are women safe in this so called incredible India?
- Are daughters safe with their fathers?
- Are working women safe at their working places?
And the answer would be a big “NO”. Now why is such a situation? Why are the evil eyes always following us? When these questions remain unanswered, only what we get to know is we are not safe in India. Rapes, acid attacks, harassment have already captured our country. Morning newspaper comes to us carrying news about such crimes where women are used as sex toys.
A terrible fact is that these crimes are not reducing rather they are increasing day by day. In a country like India 97 of every 100 rapists receive no punishment. Now the question arises- Are our laws encouraging rapists?? When a 23-year old became the victim of gang rape in Delhi on 12th December 2012.her death cried to the world ,this is a warning, beware you can be the next!!!! But still rapes didn’t end; it’s high time now to follow the ancient Rome’s punishment for rape where the testicles of the culprit are crushed between stones. Punishment for such crimes shall come only later what comes first is precaution. We cannot wait for the police to save us, so you should act yourself. Some of the actions told by the experts are as follows:
- If a woman finds herself alone in the company of strange male as she prepares to enter a lift in a high-rise apartment late at night, she should enter the lift and if you need to reach the 13th floor, press all the buttons up to the destination then no one will dare attack you in a lift that stops on every floor.
- If a stranger tries to attack you when you are alone in your house, then run in to the kitchen as you alone know where the chili powder and turmeric are kept and where the knives and plates are and all these can be turned into deadly weapons. If nothing else start throwing plates and utensils all over, let them break, scream remember noise is the greatest enemy of a molester and he doesn’t want to be caught.
- If you are taking an auto or taxi at night, experts say before getting into an auto note down its registration number. Then use the mobile to call your family or friend and pass on the details to them in the language the driver understands. Even if no one answers your call pretend you are in a conversation. The driver now knows someone has his details and he will be in serious trouble if anything goes wrong .he is bound to take you home safe and sound .a potential attacker is now your protector!
- What if the driver turns into a street he is not supposed to and you feel you are entering a danger zone then use the handle of your purse or your dupatta to wrap around his neck and pull him back, within seconds he will feel choked and helpless .in case if you don’t have any pull him back by his color. The top button of his shirt would then do the same trick.
- If you are stalked at night, enter a shop or house and explain your issue. If it is night and shops are not open then enter inside an ATM box .ATM centers always have security guards. They are also monitored by close circuit television and fearing identification, No one will attack you.
Being mentally alert is the greatest weapon you can hold. Never let your fear to grab you in such situations. What we can hope now is a better tomorrow. We can hope for a safer India where we can proudly call our country “incredible India” without a second thought.
About the Author: This article is contributed by Srilekha Nambiar, our Intern.